If there's any one thing to take away from this week's episode, it's that you shouldn't toy around with pushing plain AOSP and GMS on your devices. Of course, we've got all the reasons why. We're pleased to be joined by Chirayu Desai, one of the developers of the FOSS-focused CalyxOS.
- 01:00 - What features do Android Open Source Project builds actually have? Which ones are dependent on Google Mobile Services?
- 12:55 - What are some of AOSP's own feature shortcomings?
- 18:22 - What is CalyxOS's approach and why does it take that path?
- 24:36 - Why is it such a big deal to ditch GMS? Are there ways to get around it?
- 41:32 - Why not just ship devices with just AOSP and GMS?
Android Bytes is hosted by Mishaal Rahman, Senior Technical Editor, and David Ruddock, Editor in Chief, of Esper.
Esper enables next-gen device management for company-owned and managed tablets, kiosks, smart phones, IoT edge devices, and more.
For more about Esper: